Afterwards a co-worker asked me if I wanted to watch a movie at the theatre across the street. I hadn't made any plans so I didn't mind hanging out. I was under the impression that other people were being invited, but it just landed up being me and him. He insisted on paying for the movie, so I brought nachos and some drinks.
It was messy eating nachos in the dark so I was holding onto a bunch of dirty napkins. My co-worker asked me if I wanted to throw them away. I was thinking, that's polite. After I gave him the napkins, he asked me to hold his hand...I said "No!" I was thinking, WHY did he just ask me that? He is married and I've met his wife and daughters. He asked me a second time to hold his hand...No! I rejected him flatly again. "I don't want to", I said firmly. What didn't he get the first time? I felt uncomfortable the rest of the movie. He wanted to walk me to my car. I declined. He called me and left a messaging thanking me for being a true friend. Creepy!
I was really upset on the drive home. I kept wondering what had I done to encourage his behaviour...After much reflection, I concluded that this was not something that I could have anticipated. We have spent time hanging out one-on-one, including lunches and a prior movie, and none of those activities resulted in any incidences. Our relationship has been professional. Thank goodness we do not work in the same department.
When I check my emails at home. He'd sent a message to make sure I made it home safely and the usual joke emails. I haven't returned his calls or emails, but I think that he is realizing that he crossed the line in our friendship.
I feel like he took advantage of me being nice to him.
I'm almost done with my melodrama; after all, there are worse things than asking someone to hold your hand. But next week at work, I'm going to tell him he crossed the line and that his behaviour was inappropriate. He made me feel uncomfortable and I want an apology.
End rant.
1 comment:
Lol - I love the drama in your life. It almost rivals Shannan's! Always fun to read your entries.
Post a Comment